OT: Device control and status display using Pocket IE

  • To: "Ukha_D (E-mail)" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: OT: Device control and status display using Pocket IE
  • From: "Ward, David" <David.Ward@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:41:18 +0100

This is OT for my application, but it's certainly applicable to HA.

I'd like to put together a 'remote control'  for a piece of PC controlled
test gear.
The plan is to use a standard Pocket PC e.g. iPaq to control our custom
application using the iPaq's wireless link and Pocket IE.

The system software is prolly to be written in VB for speed,  we will serve
web pages directly from the VB app (This bit works as a demo at the mo.)

My problem is implementing a 'real time' status display via simple HTTP or
Java script,  update at say once per second.
We need to be able to display some very simple parameters, status,
temperature etc.  as a dynamic display that updates in the browser window.
I'd like to keep flicker/refresh to a minimum so I don't really want to
update the whole page.
My first thoughts are to update a 'status' frame, or to use Java script to
fetch values from the web sever by intercepting requests for specific
pages/CGI.

Anyone got any thoughts or preferably and code examples so that I can show
proof of concept to the guy's that will eventually implement this?

Thanks for your time

Dave Ward