Re: RE: Help needed.....may loose job....

Brian,

Did you receive a formal verbal or written warning for any of these
previous events (i.e. warning recorded on your personnel file)? Were the
proper procedures followed in those cases (minuted interview with
adequate notice and witness present)? If not, you effectively have a
clean sheet. In that case, they would have to demonstrate that this
latest event represented gross misconduct on your part if they wanted to
sack you. Sounds to me like it would be a real stretch for them to argue
that this was gross misconduct. Sounds to me like this guy hasn't done
his homework and doesn't have any experience with employment issues.
Although telling him to "bugger off" may not have been your
smartest move.

It's pretty difficult to demonstrate gross misconduct. To give you an
example: my company controls landfill gas for waste disposal companies.
It's a significant responsibility, as buildup of gas can lead to
migration with consequent risks of explosion, asphyxiation, and other
health and environmental risks. Mostly this runs itself, but our
engineers are under instructions to visit sites at least once a week to
make sure there's not a problem with the system. Despite this, two of
our engineers managed to ignore a site for 26 days, and the collection
system was off for 19 of those days, which could have been catastrophic.
One of those engineers had a history of not doing his job properly. But
because we hadn't followed formal procedures when disciplining him
previously we couldn't sack him for repeated failures. And legal advice
was that this incident did not represent gross misconduct on their part,
even though it goes to the heart of our responsibilities as a company.
If that wasn't gross misconduct, then I don't see how what you did can be.

Having said that, if I were you I would be keeping my eye open for
another job. They don't sound like the sort of company I would want to
work for. If you have a bad relationship with a vindictive boss who
wants you out, you're going to be very stressed making sure that
everything you do meets all the company's requirements so he doesn't
have an excuse to discipline you and eventually get rid of you. If you
had alternative employment options, it might work best for you and them
to agree a "redundancy" package and go your separate ways.

Cheers,

Bruno