RE: OT: VCR picture flashing

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT: VCR picture flashing
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 18:52:02 +0100

Hi Keith, ( always seems like I am talking to myself when I type that!)

You say when playing "Recorded Videos", by that I assume you mean
"PRE-Recorded" videos as opposed to videos that you yourself have
recorded.

Many Pre-Recorded videos have MacroVision applied which is designed to
prevent copying of the tapes. Basically Macrovision inserts extra sync
pulses and adds distortion to other sync pulses with the express aim of
messing up the Syncronisation and Colour decoding circuitry in a VCR trying
to copy the tape.

It manifests itself as variations in brightness and colour which make the
recorded video unwatchable. Unfortunately, a Macrovision encoded signal
does
not strictly conform to the specification of a video signal and whilst most
modern TV's are not troubled by it, some older sets cannot display a
macrovision signal without picture disturbance.

If you are talking excusively about Pre-Recorded tapes such as Disney etc,
then there is a strong possibility that the problems are down to
MacroVision
affecting either the video processing circuitry in the Denon Amp ( does it
have OnScreen display? ) or the TV itself.

What happens if the VCR is connected directly to the TV ?

Are all YOUR recordings unaffected ?

If it ONLY happens on the VCR and it is OK direct to the TV then if you
have
2 SCARTS I would suggest feeding the VCR to the TV on the second SCART with
only its audio going to the amp.

The amp could then feed all the other sources into the TV on SCART1

Wait to hear more....

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv