Re: Re: Satellite Broadband and Citrix

> > > Whilst from my limited personal experience Citrix copes with
high
> latency
> > > (PSTN dial-up) reasonably well I doubt it would deal with
the 400-
> 600 ms
> > rtt
> > > seen on satellite.
> >
> > Definately agree !
>
> Definitely disagree.

excellent, it would be boring if we all agreed :)

> GPRS is rarely as good as 400ms (normally nearer 600ms, and sometimes
> much more, and thats with dedicated bearers, not VPN over internet)
> and Microsoft Terminal Services (which is pretty similar to Citrix)
> works just fine across that link.

As I said in a previous email, I haven't actually got round to trying
Metaframe over GPRS, but Im pleased to hear you successfully have used it
with MTS, RDP is a fatter protocol than ICA therefore you would assume ICA
should be better.

As for the satellite link, Again I haven't used it, but it is supposed to
suffer from bad latency, therefore I would alway recommend ISDN/HH over it
for plain ICA/RDP traffic, why pay the premium for satellite if you are not
getting benefit from it ?

> On the (1500 session, soon to be 3000 session) Terminal Services farm
> I was responsible for the design for, many of the users are on 50 or
> 100+ ms and it all works just fine, including formal service levels
> on response time.

Shessh big MTS server farm !, Our Metaframe farm is only 600 users :) but
ICA/RDP will cope with 50-100ms no problems at all, AFAIK once you get into
600+ you will likely notice increasing problems, not that the session will
not work, but it's likely to be very slow. But it woukd take it to be very
high latency for the session to timeout, which brings me back to my point
about just using PSTN or more likely ISDN dialup for a single Metaframe
session will be more than acceptable (printing caveat noted)

> MTS is well worth trying in high latency environments; it does work
> impressively well.

RDP is good, we use it for remote admin for non Metaframe servers, but IMHO
ICA is better for user session. But as with everything it's horses for
courses.

> David

Darren