[OT] GPRS usage count

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [OT] GPRS usage count
  • From: "Dave McLaughlin" <dave@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:48:00 +0100

Hi All,

Is anyone on here using GPRS?

At work we use it as part of our telematics device and have noticed (after
a huge GPRS bill) that the byte count is about 10 fold what you think it
is.

We calculated that we had sent about 80-100Kb of data (including the TCP/IP
header) and the GPRS bill showed this to be just over 1Mb. We have looked
at this and have come to the conclusion that this is due to the handshaking
that TCP/IP employs when making a connection. We connect in a way similar
to a web page.

Even if you only use web pages in Text mode you are going to generate a lot
of data traffic.

No wonder the phone operators are happy??? :o(

Dave...