Re: Satellite Broadband and Citrix

> Hi all,
>
> A friend of mine has just discovered that she's too far from the
> exchange to get ADSL, so that scuppers that plan :-(

same as a lot of us :( , altho on the bright side for me, my exchange has
just passed 77% required registrations, so maybe *sometime*

> Trying to work out whether there _are_ any decent alternatives, and
> wondering whether satellite is an option.

Only if your really desperate I hear

> Here's the monkey - a lot of what she uses her 'net connection for is
> talking to an NFuse/Citrix server, so lots of low latency
> applications.

Satellite would not be the best environment for Citrix Metaframe, In fact
I'd guess a modem would be better, and ISDN is VERY useable so If Metaframe
is the main use she is going to make of the connection, then ISDN/HH. Bear
in mind ICA requires on 20K bandwidth to be useable, and in reality, you
can
get away with less. I have run 6 sessions (separate PCs)over an ISDN
connection quite comfortably. One caveat is printing, obviously sending a
print job down to a locally connected printer would require as fat a
connection as you can get to minimise the waiting.

> Any comments on whether that's viable with satellite, and how much
> the different options cost?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark

Darren