RE: X10 in Which? magazine

Hi Mark,

>Surely this would apply though equally to a normal timer connected to a
>heater, or for that matter a thermostatically controlled switch
controlling
>any heater that should not be covered ?

Not really, normal timers don't get their on/off commands over the
powerline,
I've recently had a problem where my TV starts interferring with X10 when
it's been on for a while, it actually results in sending a P4 ON... think
what
would happen if I had a bar hearter or something upstairs and didn't
notice.
Electric blankets SHOULD have a thermostatic shutoff, but these things to
fail..

>For my money X10 seems to be the perfect solution for interfacing phone
>with
>central heating in a remote property. Unless anyone else has any better
>suggestions (always open to new ideas)

I don't have too much of an issue with central heating. If you are
convinced that
you want to use X10 for heating then I'd suggest using 2 (or more) modules
with
completely different house and unit codes plugged into each other so that
to actually
turn it on you have to send ,for example, P4 ON then F12 ON. This would add
some
sort of fail safe - though I'm still not convinced it's a good idea to use
X10 for any
critical stuff..

TBH it is up to you what you do, I'd just be a little cautious. It sounds
great to be
able to turn on heater in your remote property so that it's nice and warm
when you
get there, you just don;t want to arrive to find that it's very warm, so
warm that the
local fir brigade has called to put out the fire....

Andy