RE: SPAM was RE: ***TiVo Mailing List - SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT***

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: SPAM was RE: ***TiVo Mailing List - SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT***
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 20:42:06 +0100

Stuart Booth wrote:
> unrecognised stuff, gets forwarded onto a crap email address
> that I don't even know if it's valid or not.

Be careful with this system. Although the address you currently send to
may be invalid (e.g. an unregistered domain), this may not always be the
case and you could ultimately end up spamming anyone that happens to buy
it.

You are better to merely reject it rather than forward for the reason
above and to prevent a further load on a downline mail server which is
attempting to send the message on. Check to see if this is possible with
the forarding software you use.

As an aside, ensure that you have postmaster@domain as a valid address.
It will get spammed from time to time since it is a well known name that
exists at pretty much all domains, but most ISPs will insist the address
is supported. Check your TOS to see whether this is the case.

> Is there a common 'repository' I can have the dodgy email
> address stuff I occasionally get sent forwarded onto?

There are a few people who have allocated an address at their domain
which they have said anyone is welcome to use as an anti spam address.
The intention was more for use in environments that attract spam rather
than as an address to forward to (e.g. Usenet). I think such addresses
are listed on sites such as abuse.net but I am currently unable to get
to the site so have not been able to check. I have them archived
somewhere so will try and find them if you have no luck.

Again this is not an option for everyone since a number of ISPs forbid a
user from falsifying their address when say posting to Usenet and you
should check the TOS before employing such a system.

HTH.

Mark.