RE: Jail for seller of illegal Xbox chips

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Jail for seller of illegal Xbox chips
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 07:47:02 +0100

Whilst I don't agree with everything Mark Hetherington says in his post,
I am extremely appreciative of the way in which he put his points
across. This is exactly the sort of discussion I personally welcome in
this group (and I don't care whether it is on topic or not!). Thankyou
Mark.

My personal view on this particular topic is somewhat in the middle (or
on the fence if you like). If I own something out right I expect to be
able to do pretty much anything I like with it, though I don't expect to
have the *right* to copy it. However I also expect companies to make it
difficult for me to use a device for something other than their intended
purpose for it and certainly to try to protect their investment from
copying.

Returning to the original topic of the thread, I wonder if there would
have been any jail for the seller if he had given away the chips or the
instructions on how to make them. After all, we have recently seen the
breaking of DVD encryption allowed by the courts which is not a hugely
different case. On both occasions the result was the defeat of the
hardware/software manufacture's copy protection mechanisms and in both
cases the technology to defeat them was made available to the public.
The significant difference seems to be that one person sold the
technology whilst the other posted it up for free on a website.

The other complexity seems to be that whilst it has never been
acceptable to break copyright, it has always been acceptable to create
technology capable of breaking copyright. Photocopiers, tape records,
VHS, CDR, DVDR etc etc are all legal mechanisms that can be (and
frequently are) used to make illegal copies. The defence of the
manufacturers of these devices seems to be that they should only be used
to copy things the user has the right to copy. The same argument was
used by the guy who defeated DVD encryption.

Now whilst it is a little less believable for the xbox chips, an
argument could be made that they were designed to allow people to use
their xboxes for other HE tasks rather than to allow piracy. We will not
know whether that line of defence would have been successful though as
(from my limited understanding of the case) the defendant plead guilty
to all charges.

Graham