802.11b wireless bridges

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: 802.11b wireless bridges
  • From: "patricklidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:14:47 -0000

Expansys are now carrying a couple of wireless bridges:

- Linksys wireless ethernet bridge
- D-Link DWL-810 Ethernet To Wireless Bridge (quite a lot cheaper)

...at reasonable cost -- probably cheaper than pulling cat5 and
buying sockets for me right now. They claim to interoperate with
pretty much any access point, but I'd love to verify that (esp. with
WEP key specification thrown in to the equation too) before parting
with the folding.

Any first hand reports?

I'm particularly interested in whether:

(a) I can stick a hub on the ethernet port and plug multiple devices
in to the bridge. If so do they appear as part of the same subnet as
the remote access point, or is there some NAT type jiggery pokery?

(b) Whether these will interoperate with an Orinocco access point ok
(I know that Linksys -routers- will only bridge with Linksys routers;
not sure if the same is true of the -bridge- product, and the linksys
web site is AWOL atm).

(c) Whether the RF performance is up to scratch?

Thanks

Patrick