RE: "Digest" information request

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: "Digest" information request
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)" <haweste@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:22:43 +0100

Mark,

Did you get any off-list replies ? I didn't see anything on-list.

My 2p FWIW, I have been a digest subscriber in the past, and I was not
particularly happy with it. While it did reduce the number of individual
emails received, it bundled the day's emails into 25-message emails (so you
can still get 4-5 emails per day). This was ok, but as Ken / Mark reminded
us recently, unless you religiously trim off all the 'Y' crap you find
you're wading through pages of plain text adds to see a 1 or 2 line
response.

IMO, the worst part of the digest is the total inability to file messages
in any meaningful file structure. The digest email is compiled as Y
receives the messages, so threads get split over multiple digest emails. I
found it very difficult to follow threads to their conclusion.

I don't know whether downloading 100 separate emails takes longer than
downloading 4 emails each containing 25 other messages but I'd plump for
individual emails every time.. Where downloading messages has not been
practical (I use my work lappy/account & spent several months on site
last year) I've changed my sub to web-only and dipped in & out when I
could.

If you want a couple of example digest mails I'm happy to send you some
off-list, just let me know :-)

HTH,

Tim H.