Re: UKHA 2003 - Video shootout

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: UKHA 2003 - Video shootout
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:10:08 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Tony Butler <lists@a...> wrote:
> > OK, please bear in mind that we are _NOT_ going to be showing a
> > movie. We don't have the required permissions (or the budget to
pay
> > the required fees.)
>
> don't you just need a license for a public showing of something?
> Since this will be a paid in advance meeting, it is effectively a
closed group
> and thus not a public meet, so should be okay?

I must admit I had thought that in a closed group like this it was OK
too. But I have no expertise in this area so I could well be wrong. I
know that I have been to 'closed events' where a film was shown, but
of course that doesn't mean it was necessarily legal for them to show
it.

> > I would suggest that we want something no more than a minute
long,
> > with lots of movement, lots of colour, and lots of complex
sound...

> You would want something not so fast moving also, to get an idea of
detail
> levels etc.
> Perhaps something from Alien - when Ripley is on the ship at the
end with the
> alien hiding on board.
> Lots of black levels that should test the quality of the encoding.
> (Would also mean seeing a rather memorable sceen from my yoof:-))

Yes certainly from a shootout point of view we need examples with
fast movement, bright and dark colours, complex sound and possibly
some animation examples. However I am confident that Mark H is on top
of that.