Re: Re: xAP/xPL and Rabbits....

----- Original Message -----
From: "patricklidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxx>
> Your perspective differs radically from mine, evidently.

I think we figured that one out a while ago ;)

> Not true, xAP supports targetted messaging. Considerable thought has
> gone into the xAP addressing structure as a whole; it is elegant,
> concise and powerful, and supports all common paradigms (many to one,
> one to many, many to many).

You missed one, imo the most important one: "one to one" one
switch, one
light.

>From the xAP spec:
"Whether a device, as a receiver, chooses to support target addressing
is
determined by the implementer and is dependent on the functionality offered
by the device"

In other words, targetted messaging is entirely optional in any given xAP
device or application. repeated emails back and forth went over this point,
and it was one of the major sticking points. From a design point of view,
you simply cannot use an addressing method which might, or might not be
present in a given device.

Perhaps I should have been more clear: within xPL, it is *mandatory* for a
device to be directly addressable.

> Not true, xAP does not support the use of class.type as a means of
> addressing.

However, as you will recall, a great many of the emails sent on the xap
list
suggested that this was *precisely* how messages would be matched.

There is, however, little point in having a protracted technical discussion
over these matters in the main UKHA list: it's old ground, and we are
approaching from different points of view... lets save it, and let the code
do the talking ;)

I.