Sun azimuth & Elevation calculations

I'm about to install solar water heating but I think that where I want to
site the panels is shaded by a neighbours house during the deep winter
months.

So, I want to calculate the suns elevation  and angle from south. I've
found a few sites which enable me to input the variables and it returns the
angles but I want to find the formulas so that I can plug them in to an
Excel sheet and plot the loci of the shadow.

Are there any sailors on the list who are good at astro navigation?

Oh, finally, the rather tenuos link to HA is that I will be using my BMS to
control the pumps and valves . .. . .

TIA

Regards

Neil