Maplin soldering station: micro-review

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Maplin soldering station: micro-review
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <steve@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 18:44:12 +0100

I ordered myself an Xecutor2 Lite yesterday. Now that XBox prices have
dropped to such ridiculous prices (I saw on in Brum for =A3119 today), I
thought I'd go ahead and mod this one, then buy another for XBox Live.

In preparation, I thought I'd get myself a new soldering iron with a
nice fine bit. I've always used Antex before now (over 20 years, FFS!),
but I've always fancied a temperature controlled soldering station.
Today my head was turned whilst perusing the irons in Maplin by a
soldering station (code BP53H) that is currently on special offer at
=A329.99. A set of 5 assorted bits cost an extra =A39.99, including a nice
small one that I particularly wanted.

Anyway, I've just put it together and guess what - it melts solder.
Phew! Temperature is controllable from 150 deg. C to 420 deg. C with tip
temperature displayed on an LED bargraph. An additional LED indicates if
the heater is on or off.=20

So there you go - it's cheap, and it appears to work.

Steve