Re: OT car parking sensors.

> I am about to fit some aftermarket parking sensors to my parent's
> car. There seem to be two sorts available, either the ultrasonic type
> with holes drilled in the bumpers and sensors mounted or
> a "microwave" type with a metal strip stuck to the inside of
the
> bumper. The latter appeals because of the lack of cosmetic damage to
> the vehicle but I am wary of just how effective it is. Does anybody
> out there have any experience of this type of device or any
> recommendations.

I had the former fitted for SWMBO's benefit and you don't really notice
them
TBH - there are two small sensors on either side of the bumper, rather than
one
large hole in the middle.
It is a bit annoying with false alarms now and then (eg signal bouncing off
the
hedge across the road), but you get used to it and know it's not real.
The beeps get more frequent the close you are to the object behind you, and
it
does a fair job squeezing you into a tight spot.

Unfortunately, it does not help a slightly panicing, nevrous revesing swmbo
and
she can still manage to tap a convenient wall or bollard whilst she
wonders "what's that beeping from".  I shoulda gone for the one
that said "OH
my god what are you doing?" when < 8" from the
"target" :D

cheers,

--
Tony