Re: Re: You've been framed :-)

>I disagree. They are the top 10 web sites because of two things:
>
>1: The offer useful content
>
>2: They make it sufficiently easy to get at that content that people
>bother coming back AND recommend them to other people

I disagree to a certain extent with the above statements, imho
they are the top ten sites becasue of their content, navigation is
irrelavant. Since there is so much dross on the web finding a site
that has the content you want is primary, regardless of how easy
it is or is not to navigate.

>> If they all suddenly started using frames they'd probably still be
>> in the top 10.
>
>Well, that may be true, but it may not. The fact remains, however,
>that the world's top 10 websites, having spent much effort in
>understanding HCI, have ALL come to the same conclusion - that frames
>are not the way to go! (Which was, after all, where we started.)

I have to disagree, the top 10 sites are so similar to so many other
sites (lacking imagination?) that the content is what ranks them
not their interface.

>> I'd like to see what this 'seminal book' says about that. [popups]
>
>Well - it's kind of interesting how you have assumed that the book
>can't be good, simply because I've tried to summarise a few of the
>points in a single message... I suggest that, before you criticise
>it, you actually read it :-)

Actually what's more interesting is that you are assuming that I am
saying the book can't be good. What I am asking is does the book
comment on popups? If it does what does it say? good or bad?
..and if it says they're bad they clearly the top 10 sites haven't
employed all the best practices they advocate from the book.

>> IMHO popups are the spawn of satan.
>
>Agree there.

and since we agree on that (and I dare say many others do too),
we can conclude that they annoy the tits off us and can't be considered
a good thing, to us. And that's the whole issue, design is subjective.
Much like you may enjoy a fine wine that's been care for and treated
properly - I may like a cheap plonk because it gets me pissed quick.

The target audience is the deciding factor, nothing more, nothing less

Andy