Re:How do you get decent MP3?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re:How do you get decent MP3?
  • From: "Richard Boreham" <richard.boreham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 00:41:42 +0100

Thanks for all the feedback on this.  I've tried 'insane' out under the
LAME
encoding on CDex and that is a huge improvement.  Looks like there is still
plenty of scope for experimentation with EAC etc.  However, I suspect I'll
not be able to detect that much change now as the limiting factor is
probably the on board sound of the PC.

I'm afraid I can't make it to the show but I hope you will relay the
results
of the 'listen-in'.  However,  if you need to get rid of any of that
Meridian kit in a hurry...

Couple of quick questions. First, of the various MP3 players mentioned, do
these support multiple concurrent streaming (e.g. 4 different tracks to a
multiroom amp for distribution to 4 different rooms)?  Second, regarding
the
point you make on sound cards etc,  a CD player has a DAC to do the all
important conversion from digital - do I understand that the MP3 players
have an additional step (MP3 -> 'digital' and then DAC) or is the
process
totally different? (Confused I am.)

thanks

Richard

>   Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 14:49:30 -0000
>   From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: How do you get decent MP3?

>Richard,

>Have a look at http:\\www.r3mix.net for information how important the
>following are:

>1: The right ripping software
>2: The right encoding software
>3: The right parameters on the encoding

>In case you don't have time to read, the quick summary is use:

>1: Exact Audio Copy to rip
>2: LAME to encode
>3: --r3mix as settings, which is a LAME alias for  something like
"--
>nspsytune --vbr-mtrh -V1 -mj -h -b96 --lowpass 19.5 --athtype 3 --ns-
>sfb21 2 -Z --scale 0.98 -X0"

>Once I moved to EAC + LAME with the --r3mix settings, then I noticed
>a marked difference between the quality of the MP3s and those I'd
>ripped before using (in my case) MusicMatch.

>I would _not_ trust the sound card in my PC. Sound cards basically
>have a "sound generator" stage, followed by a
"mixer" stage. A well
>setup MultiMedia PC will have a _direct_ connection from the CD
>player to the mixer stage, and bypass the sound generator completely.
>Playing back MP3s, however, _has_ to use the sound generator.

>What the "all in one" solutions give you is "plug and
play" setup.