RE: Solenoid Radiator valves

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Solenoid Radiator valves
  • From: "Neil Ball" <neilball@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 09:51:59 +0100

You've found the problem with a single zone boiler control solution when
multi-room zoning is required I'm afraid. You either have to take the
approach where the controlling sensor is fitted in the coldest room to
ensure heating is available everywhere else and that when that control
sensor is satisfied then by definition so to is the rest of the house. The
only other solution is to add additional sensors as you need to measure
before you can control.

The next problem is that if you control the boiler directly from it's 0-10v
input then you have got to write all of the necessary control strategy to
achieve the end result. The difficulty here is simply that it is not easy
t=
design from scratch when you do not have a clear idea of all of the
individual features that will be required, from management/protection of
th=
boiler plant to heating control loops, optimum start calculations etc. The
reason why much of the equipment around today is so expensive is that it is
tried and tested solutions based on commercial controls where these highly
effective and efficient control techniques are now mandatory in most
non-residential buildings. Factor in the very low demand in residential
markets and you get left with high cost. One other word of caution, be wary
of the programmable BMS type systems as they really are not at all
appropriate for residential use. Most have very obscure bespoke programming
languages, and the tools to program them are only available to the
manufacturers system installers. This makes the installation expensive, but
more importantly they are often designed to limit local access to avoid
tampering, and maintenance can be very expensive as well.

With regards to outside weather compensation, this is one method to
conside=
where the boiler flow temperature is dependent on outside air temperature
o=
the basis that heat loss from the building is directly related to external
conditions. Again it has it's advantages, and can also be used for the
optimum start calculation where the pre-heat time becomes a factor of room
temperature, room setpoint and outside air temperature. You may well find
though that if you have a well insulated/air tight house that the only
dominant factor is room temperature versus setpoint therefore you could
simplify your intended control by omitting outside air influence all
together. I would still recommend retaining the outside sensor though as
yo=
can use it for frost protection strategies when the building is unoccupied.

Finally, the company I work for has a technical area on it's web site, and
if you look at the datasheets for the boiler module and zone controller you
should get a good idea of the kinds of strategies we employ. As mentioned
previously though, the prices are still very high for most people and
typically most of our installations cost from =A35,000 upwards.=20