RE: Solenoid Radiator valves

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Solenoid Radiator valves
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 13:58:04 +0100

I have played quite a bit with the algorithms for the ON OFF control
=E2=80=
=93 which I have in about 4 rooms here. My problem comes because of the
hea=
t retention in the radiators. They are the very old fashioned cast iron
one=
s. Now as soon as the valve is opened they heat up very quickly (as the
wat=
er flowing past is already very hot) but they hold heat for a long time,
ca=
using the overshoot =E2=80=93 so I am faced with almost pulsing the valves
=
open for a very short time to only heat the radiator up a little. I even
pl=
ayed with a temp sensor attached to the radiator. Unfortunately this then
a=
lso gets complicated by the flow temp at the valve and the flow rate or
pre=
ssure =E2=80=93 both these being effected by other demands from TVR=E2=80=
=99s and zones. In one of the rooms the radiators are more modern meaning
t=
hey are far more efficient at radiating heat and hence cool much faster
=E2=
=80=93 this room I have managed to cater for the hysteresis far better
with=
an algorithm.=20

TBH I had intended all my valves to be proportional type 1 or raise/lower
t=
ype 2 below, but I had installed the traditional zone valves assuming I
cou=
ld just exchange the actuators at a later time for proportional ones
=E2=80=
=93 but you can=E2=80=99t get proportional or raise/lower exchange
actuator=
s for standard zone valves =E2=80=93 so I had to work around or fit new
val=
ves as well.

Neil =E2=80=93 when I said proportional I meant to include raise/=
lower in that category =E2=80=93 I think we are talking about three types
h=
ere aren=E2=80=99t we ??

1)       The type that is either fully open or fully closed (but takes a
fe=
w secs to move from one to the other)

2)       The type that you apply say 0-10V to and they are proportional ie
=
3V is 30% open

3)       The raise lower type =E2=80=93 you drive them with a succession
of=
pulses to move them from one position to the next ( or maybe even a timed =
voltage application) =E2=80=93 then they stay wherever they are left
=E2=80=
=93 if you drive them 2/3 open then that is where they stay. These take a
l=
ittle tracking and have to be calibrated against end positions
periodically=
=E2=80=93 I think these are the lowest cost of the 2 and 3 and what I will=
probably end up using.

There is a fourth type which is what most of my radiators use at the
moment=
=E2=80=93 it is a sort of =E2=80=98bodged=E2=80=99 TVR. Basically I have T=
VR=E2=80=99s with a capillary and remote sensor mounted in a small plastic
=
box. You set the required temperature on the standard mechanical rotary
TRV=
. However also mounted in the little sensor box is a small electric
element=
that applies heat to the sensor in proportion to the voltage applied to it=
. Hence you can set back that room by 2 degrees by applying 2V or by 5
degr=
ees by 5V etc. This works very well to regulate the room as the control is
=
effectively truly proportional =E2=80=93 you can also effectively turn a
r=
oom ON or OFF this way. I am not sure these are manufactured anymore
=E2=80=
=93 they were made by Danfoss.

=20

I am really interested in this subject as I have yet to implement most of
m=
y control here =E2=80=93 so please do keep us updated on anything you find=
=E2=80=A6

=20

Kevin

=20