Re: Broadband Cable Router

Rob Mouser wrote:
> Picking up on an old thread here. I have a friend with telewest
> broadband. He tells me that his 'box' supplied by telewest is coax in
> and usb out?
>
> I'm going to network his 3 home PC's so he can make use of his
broadband
> (The bugger!).
>
> Not got to his house yet but I'm presuming that he's talking about a
> 10base-T connection when he refers to coax? Will the Linksys router
> talked about attached to this directly?
>
> Anyone with telewest broadband could enlighten me and save me an hours
> drive to take a look?
I used to have telewest broadband until I moved.

A quick google to
http://www.eddietalbot.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/homecinema/telewest/pacebox.htm

confirms what I remember. The settop box is COAX in and RG45 out, I
think this is what they are using to supply broadband. You should be
alright connecting to the WAN port of a router, you will probably need a
Xover cable.

If the connection is via a cable modem, then the ones they used to
supply were the Motorola Surfboards, these have the same connections,
mine was hooked up to a server on a second network card via a Xover
cable so I would assume the same would do for the WAN port on the router.

You cannot connect more that one device via a HUB as the service
requires a single MAC address, you can register up to 5, but only one
can be active at anyone time and it takes about 24hrs to change them.

Using a router is fine and has been done many a time on blueyonder

Hope this helps

Alastair