From: Rob Mouser [mailto:rmouser@xxxxxxx] =0D
Sent: Thu 03/04/2003 08:31 =0D
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx =0D
Cc: =0D
Subject: [ukha_d] Pronto RU950 First Impresions=0D
=0D
Well thanks to Phil's key skills with selotape,  cardboard and licking=0D
stamps, I have my 950, arrived this morning at 7.30am. Only had chance=0D
to take a very brief look at it before flying out the door to work.=0D
Initial impressions:=0D
=0D
- BUTT Ugly. How can Marantz get is so right in design terms and=0D
Phillips so wrong.=0D
- Very poor build quality, the plastic has a cheap tacky feel about it,=0D
NO WHERE near the build quality of the 940. Just remove the battery=0D
compartment and you'll see what I mean!=0D
- Nice screen and backlight. Much better Res than the 940. =0D
- No more silly contrast wheel on the side which causes SWMBO to change=0D
the contrast in error due to wandering fingers (Ooooh er!). Instead you=0D
now have to hold the backlight button in while using the side curser=0D
buttons.=0D
- Pre-loaded screens seemed to take a while to load/change. Is the=0D
increased     res at the expense of processing power?=0D
=0D
So first impressions? Not good for =C2=A3250! Perhaps I'll grow to love it=
?=0D
=0D
Many thanks=0D
=0D
Rob Mouser=0D
rmouser@xxxxxxx=0D
rob@xxxxxxx=0D
=0D
=0D
> -----Original Message-----=0D
I=0D
> > don't know=0D
> > how the=0D
> > > brightness compares with the old units in a domestic
environment.=0D
> >=0D
> > Shame on you - you'll be selling up your HA kit next and=0D
> > taking up needlecraft ;)=0D
> =0D
> Nah ... SWMBI invariably goes to bed about 10:30 and until then I
have=
=0D
> to sit through mind-numbingly boring soaps and QVC "Todays
Special=0D
> Value". Only after 10:30 do I get to spend a bit of time playing
and=0D
at=0D
> the moment I'm trying to get this media server stuff to a stage
where=0D
it=0D
> might be practical.=0D
> =0D
> Just haven't had time to play with the RU950 yet...=0D
> =0D
> Anyway ... I've noticed a couple of familiar names crop up on RU950=0D
> orders over the last day or so so there should be a few
"impartial"=0D