RE: 900

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: 900
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:03:56 +0100

> PS I've just picked up a Maxtor 5000XT Ext hard disk, very
> nice.  I can recommend it.

Hmmm ... I have two of those ... Try running them 24/7 and copying loads of
data to/from them ... Both mine started giving errors which were
unrecoverable after running for a couple of days and then being used
heavily
for a few hours - really annoying since I was planning on using quite a few
of these for a media server at home and the USB/Firewire external interface
would have solved a load of problems with both housing drives in the server
chassis and having multiple drives on one machine.

Turned out that because the cases have no fans and also have silicone
gaskets on the top and bottom of the drives to stop them rattling in the
enclosure then the drives just bake themselves silly. When I took the cases
on mine apart the drives were too hot to hold.

I chucked the drives in my server as "normal" ATA133 drives and
they're
working perfectly now.

The case design is shit!!!

Phil