Re: Watering the garden.. how it's done

Interesting. I am very nervous with 240 volt stuff and don't use it at all
in the garden. You can see how I do my watering on my site
(www.mollyology.com then projects then Garden Irrigation I think). I use
12v valves from RS components which are slightly cheaper but essentially
the same price. All my other hose stuff is also Hozelok and some micro
stuff from Wickes. The valves use about 230ma each so power draw is not
horrendous either.

The new relay board controller is a xAP (www.xapautomation.org) powered
device which will have the ability to control 8 relays and also have 8
inputs. All this stuff communicates over an RS485 multidrop bus so distance
is no problem. Humidity seems to be the holy grail of watering. If you can
find a humidity sensor which has a set point then digital inputs like these
will do nicely. If not you are down to rolling something analogue or
probably paying a fortune for something commercial. This latter analogue
one is on the project list but still many months or a year or so away.

Thanks

Ian

Ian Bird
CibaVision UK Ltd.