RE: REQ: Bluetooth -> LAN info.

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: REQ: Bluetooth -> LAN info.
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 14:46:09 -0000

> Bought my Mrs a new phone yesterday (Nokia 6100) and while in the shop
> got
> to hold a P800.
>
> Vvvvvery NICE :)

It is a very nice phone IMO and as close as I'll get to a PDA, personal
inherent dislike of the useless stinking things (my opinion only ;)) I
use a laptop, however, having said that the P800 has made me change my
mind a little about PDA's in the main. Or at least where the two are
combined at least as I tended to use my last few phones for reminders
and stuff anyway as they were all capable of doing that.

It was interesting to read that Umar has replaced his PDA, phone and
camera with a P800 and I suppose it is a solution to carrying three
boxes if you feel you needed a PDA but, IMHO, the camera sucks and blows
big time! It's okay for the odd snap but utterly useless for anything
beyond that and in poor light it's just woeful so I think I'll stick
with my little IXOS thank you very much. I still fail to see the point
of a camera in a phone, oh wait...

/cynical mode

that's right it means that the mobile operators can cash in on the teeny
boppers that want to send their mates pictures of their silly friends
making silly faces at the camera! FOR 30p A GO! Not bad, nice little
earner an almost 250% increase on a standard text that they were using!

/exit cynical mode

Nope, I still fail to see the need for it. I have yet to use MMS and TBH
I doubt I'll ever use it as there seems no point to it when I can take a
decent picture, post it on the web, print it, email it or whatever I
want really and it didn't even cost me 30p to send it to somebody!

As a diary etc the P800 more than covers my needs and as a phone it
works just fine, as it should. I also had none of the daft Bluetooth
connection issues that I had with the Nokia 6310i, which just hacked me
off, as did Nokia's attitude to the problem, i.e. they couldn't care
less.

I've not had time to fully explore the P800 as there is a lot packed
into it but so far the only things I can criticise it for is size
(taking out the poxy camera could help there) and the battery life. The
size is not really major as it's not *that* much larger then a decent
phone but the battery, in normal use the way I use my phone is giving at
best about four days before it's dead, one area where the 6310 wins
hands down as the battery life on that was outstanding. But then, if the
silly camera wasn't there then a bigger battery could have been
installed!

Now, after reading all that if you get upset about my opinions don't
flame me on the list attack me on MSN or IRC, it was only my take on it!
;)

K.