RE: Self diagnosing boilers ?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Self diagnosing boilers ?
  • From: "Neil Ball" <neilball@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 18:03:51 -0000

You could look at Viesmann boilers (if I've got the spelling correct) as
some of their top end boilers have a number of built in features - remember
the Grand Designs project where a couple converted a derelict mill, the
boiler even had a party mode!. Mind you most are also that complex that
no-one really understands how to set them correctly, and they are probably
way too complicated for the every day user.

In reality, many boilers have simple self-diagnosis if they have on board
controls, and those that don't will probably offer flame failure/burner
lockout and high temperature alarms as volt-free contacts. These can then
be
monitored by any number of HA systems in this way - I'm sure there must be
one or two on the list doing something via Comfort for example.

If you're looking for boiler management, full system control, alarm
monitoring etc then you may be better looking for a separate dedicated
control system that looks after the entire system, with easy to
understand/operate user interfaces combined with remote access via web
server/alarms via email etc. Take a look at the kind of thing my company
offers at www.smartkontrols.co.uk and this will give you a flavour of what
can be done. It all comes down to features required against available
budget.

HTH

Neil.