Streaming MP3 from server to a living room - Where should I spend my cash?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Streaming MP3 from server to a living room - Where should I spend my cash?
  • From: "Jake Liddell" <jake.liddell@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 15:18:48 -0000

Hi all,
=20
I'm ready to take the plunge, and banish my CDs to the loft.  I'd like to
u=
se my PC as a music server, and pipe it to each room in the house,
starting=
with the lounge.
=20
I've looked at the various conversations over the past few months, singing
=
the praises of devices like the AudioTron, SliMP3, Rio (are there
others?),=
but now it's time to make my mind up.
=20
Ignoring price (up to about =A3500),  looks, and on-board controls (I'm
bou=
nd to go down some sort of wireless PC panel route at some point, so I'm
th=
inking a web interface is much more important), which would you recommend?
=
=20
=20
I'm looking for long-term versatility, really.  I can't see any reason why
=
these devices (or something similar) shouldn't also serve up DivX or DVD
da=
ta in the future.  Could any of these cope with the bandwidth in their
curr=
ent guise, both in terms of network bandwidth or CPU speed for
decompressio=
n?  I'm also getting an AV amp in the near future, so does that mean I
shou=
ld go with the AudioTron, for its optical out, and ability to play
lossless=
formats (eg. WAV)?
=20
I guess what I'm really saying is I'm getting pretty close to buying an
Aud=
ioTron.  Mistake?
=20
Thanks for any help,