RE: [OT] Which GPS software?

Hi Paul.

I've been using the Navman jacket with my iPAQ for the last 6 months or
so, and I must say I find it indispensable when I'm venturing into
"foreign parts". I even tend to use it on long trips where I
already
know the way, as its quite comforting to see the "miles to
destination"
figure steadily wind down!

I got the Navman as part of the official Compaq product, which uses the
Pocket CoPilot software. In its latest release this includes a raft of
useful features such as diversions, estimated time of arrival, etc. The
new version has also compressed the map information to the extent that
you can fit the whole of the UK onto a 128Mb card, so there's no messing
around having to download information for a given trip. The only real
complaint I have it that the software tends to favour the shortest
route, which occasionally means it directing you down some A and B roads
where you just *know* that it would be quicker to stay an extra junction
on the motorway. However, this doesn't happen that often (and on several
occasions it has resulted in me finding shortcuts I previously didn't
know about).

Perhaps the best recommendation I can give it is that I regularly use it
to navigate through and around London, and it hasn't let me down yet....

Enjoy...

Julian