Akasa PC "exotica" review

I’ve finally got around to installing a few bits and pieces from Akasa (sold at both Overclock and overclockers.co.uk, and other PC hardware boutiques, rather than the mainstream sheds) in my PC.

For historical rather than any other reasons I run SCSI drives in my machines so I have an LVD cable running from a PCI card, an ATA cable running from the motherboard to a CD-ROM drive, and a floppy cable running from the motherboard. I replaced the standard “out of the box” cables which came with the motherboard with Akasa rounded cables in all three instances, and motherboard monitor showed a reduction in temperature from 32 to 30 degrees mainboard, but most importantly 2 degrees down to 47 at the CPU.

I run an Athlon XP 1500 which I unlocked myself at 180 x 8.5 (1800 equivalent, because I can more than because it saves money) – so it does pump out a fair amount of heat. The whole shebang is cooled using an ALPHA PAL 8045 heatsink with a YS-Tech FD8125 fan.

I also installed an Akasa PAX-mate Acoustic absorption mat – which is basically horrible smelling self adhesive carpet underlay type stuff which fits on the inside of all the aluminium panels which make up my Coolermaster aluminium case. While I could only register a 1dB reduction in noise at idle, it does seem to have removed the more offensive parts of the spectrum, so the two inlet and two exhaust fans over and above the CPU fans encroach less on normal living.

We do all tend to run our PCs 24/7, and for those of us that use the PC as an entertainment hub the Akasa stuff will help to keep them cool and quiet, and at the same time only add a few quid to the cost of building a new PC. The CoolerMaster cases are a different matter though. They certainly look nice, but the cheapest (steel/alloy hybrid construction) comes in at 100 quid without power supply, or so Phil (it was a bargain) Harris tells me.:)

Tim

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor