RE: GPS at Bargain Prices

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: GPS at Bargain Prices
  • From: "Dave McLaughlin" <dave@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 21:36:15 +0100

Stuart,

Do you know which chipset the module uses? Some of the older devices suffer
very poorly in areas of high buildings and tree cover. The latest Sirf2
based devices have software to account for this canyon effect (high
buildings) and canopy cover. They also support the EGNOS satellite signals
to give you a DGPS correction to give position to within 5m. I know where
you should be able to get an RS232 output module running on 5V (or 3.3V)
for
about 60-70 quid if this helps (needs an active antenna). I might be able
negotiate a lower price if I have numbers. It is also 12 channel.

Just seeing if I can help as I have gone through a few GPS devices in my
time.

Regards
Dave...