-----Original Message-----
From: the_home_automator [mailto:db@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 19 September 2002 19:55
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Ooops...

You are more than a bit lucky there.

A Data Centre of my aquaintence lost its neutral (of a three phase
feed from a UPS) some time very early in the morning, and by the time
people arrived the Emergency Power Off circuit on the Power
Distribution Unit had melted, so removing power to the room.  Not
before each and every power supply in every piece of kit had been
fritzed, however.  A Sun E10K, several other mid range and small
Suns, and a few dozen NT computers, not to mention thirty odd items
of networking equipment, the door lock, the GPS clock, the list goes
on and on... all needed new PSUs, at a cost in excess of 100K UKP,
and a days outage to the business, estimated cost half a mil.

Suddenly the 50K I wanted for a large static switch (which would have
prevented this destruction) all looked very affordable.  And now its
arrived, it is very nice, nearly 7m long and weighing in at 3.5
tonnes!  You can have the tiddler version (30A max, single phase) for
a mere $4600.