Re: [OT] Dolby Digital on PC?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [OT] Dolby Digital on PC?
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:01:51 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Mark McCall" <mark@a...> wrote:
> I would like a sound card that can output digital to connected to a
Dolby
> Digital amp.
>
> Is the Creative SB Audigy a good card?
>
> If I play VOB files on my PC will the sound output as DD ok?
>
> Can I play DivXs with AC3 this way?
>
> Any advice or recommendations appreciated.
>
> M.

I have had this discussion a couple of time recently and still not
got a definative answer. What I am looking for is the ability to take
the content of a DVD, place it on the hard disk of a PC and then
playback through a TV and AV amp retaining all of the original DVD
functionality (menus, extras, AC3 sound etc etc). I know that disk
space and PC performance will be important factors in extracting and
storing the data, and I have heard that the latest version of windows
media player might be able to control the menu stuff. But there are
still some unanswered questions around region, macrovision, ripping
process and so on.

Is anyone actually doing this now; not Divx, not stereo or DPL sound,
but genuine full DVD 'cloning' and playback from a PC? If so then I
would be very interested to find out what combination of hardware and
software is required.

Oh yes, one other thing, please don't bother responding with various
comments about piracy and so on. I never play my own CDs anymore as
they have all been stored on PC, I see this as being no different, it
is just a possible alternative to a DVD jukebox that seems impossible
to get hold of and is potentially damaging to the disks.

Graham

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor