RE: Best DVD hook-up?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Best DVD hook-up?
  • From: "Nick Tyson - The Edge" <nick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:06:28 +0100

Picture wise, if your DVD player will output RGB on the scart and the TV
will accept it via the scart then this should give you the best picture
quality (I say should because we occasionally come across TVs which don't
give as good a picture with RGB as they do with SVHS). If either the TV or
DVD doesn't support RGB then SVHS is your next best alternative, once again
providing the TV will accept it (this could be a stand alone connector like
on the DVD or through the scart). If your DVD can be set up to output SVHS
through the scart then a fully pinned scart lead will do the job -
alternatively you can use the dedicated SVHS output on the DVD into the
scart on the DVD, but you'll need the appropriate lead for this. If the TV
doesn't support either RGB or SVHS then your stuck with plain old composite
which will once again be a standard scart lead.

Audio wise, if you're connecting to a digital surround sound amp or receiver
you'll need to use the coaxial output - make sure it's enabled and the
amp/receiver is set up to look at that imput. If you're going into a
conventional stereo amp then just use the normal left/right phono audio
connectors. If you only want sound from the TV, assuming it's not a digital
surround TV, it will depend on which picture connection you'r making. If you
use a scart to scart lead (for RGB, SVHS or Composite) from the DVD to the
TV, this will also carry stereo audio.

Sorry it's a bit long winded, if you need clarification please get back to
me.

Regards,

Nick Tyson
The Edge