RE: Change to law regarding domestic wiring

>From what I can gather (reading the linked .pdf), all electrical work
shoul=
comply with BS7671 - but this is only voluntary.

There are 61,000 (their figures) electrical contractors in the UK, but only
13,000 are registered in the existing voluntary schemes.

The concern is over the rising number unsafe electrical installations,
increasing the risk of electric shock, burns, and injuries arising from
fires caused by components overheating or arcing.

The basic thrust of it is to amend the Building Regulations to bring
electrical wiring under its umbrella.  "Approved electrical
contractors"
would be able to "Self-certify" their own installations,
generating an
appropriate Electrical Installation Certificate.  The alternative would be
to pay a fee and have the work inspected by a "local authority
building
control department or an Approved Inspector or an agent."  I smell a
money
making scam here...

The only items of "minor" electrical wiring that will not need to
be
notified/approved are:
Adding lighting points (light fittings & switching) on an existing
circuit,
Adding socket-outlets to an existing ring or radial circuit,
Replacement of accessories (socket outlets, control switches and ceiling
roses) but _excluding_ circuit protective devices,
Installation and/or upgrading/testing of main equipotential bonding,
Upgrading and testing supplementary bonding,
Replacement of the cable _for a single circuit only_ where damaged, eg by
fire, rodent or impact,
Re-fixing and/or repairing the enclosures of existing wiring systems,
Providing additional mechanical protection to existing equipment
(oh, and there are footnotes attached to most of these - see page 42 of the
pdf)

So, for the self-taught weekend DIY'er who just won't skimp on safety (it's
my families lives I'm playing with), I'll be left with no choice but to
either employ an approved contractor to do the job, or pay my local
authority to come in and inspect the quality of my work.

Oh, and here's the money making bottom line - this will rake in =A320
milli=
on
to the Treasury over five years.

Best finish re-wiring my house for X-10 now before the modified regulations
come into effect!

Tony