RE: ADSL thingy....

OK - that's not a bad idea. Is there a particular USB thing you recommend?

M.

-----Original Message-----
From: James Hoye [mailto:james.hoye@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 5 September 2002 17:29
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx Subject: RE: [ukha_d] ADSL thingy....

> I want something to sit between my ADSL line and my IPCOP firewall. The
"something" is, I assume, a router.

You need an ADSL modem and additionally a router.

> The ADSL line will, I hope, have 5 IP addresses (well 8 minus network,
minus broadcast, minus router).

Sounds like someone's looking at Eclipse ;)

> I assume that the ADSL line will plug into the "router". The router's
ethernet port will be crossover-d into the firewall.

That's one way - but you lose an Ethernet port...
Another possible way is to use an ADSL modem presenting USB - that way it
becomes easier to setup RED (USB), ORANGE & GREEN zones (Ethernet).
Particularly important if you have a VIA board with only one PCI slot.

With only the modem, the firewall does NAT/pinholing etc and a combined ADSL
modem/router becomes redundant as you have to run it in bridged mode (well,
you do with the Asus I have).

> How sophisticated is IPCop???

> I want quite a lot of translations / hiding from different zones into
others?

I'm sure it can handle it...

> What router do I want?

How much do you want to spend ;)