RE: Information Displays

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Information Displays
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 00:18:07 +0100

Forgive my ignorance if I'm away on a tangent here Keith but could the
information on occupancy not be garnered from HV, HS or your chosen
flavour of HA controller sending a xAP message depending on the
circumstances. Like if the "Gone To Bed" is set then dim/switch off unit
XXX/YYY/FFF whatever?

Bloody good idea though, particularly for units mounted in a bedroom.

K.

Web
> tablets all do it. But it set me thinking....
>
> The current VFD threads running on the various lists are working on
> displaying information on the wall mounted VFD's. This is the idea....
>
> A PIR sensor located in the room (could be several of them) used for
> occupancy detection, is also used to control the output of the VFD
> display,
> either blanking it completely or dimming down to a low level. When
> movement
> is detected the display is enabled at full brightness for a period of
> <user_defined> minutes. Any further movement resets the timer so if
the
> room
> is occupied then the display will be active but when there is no-one
there
> to see it the display is dimmed/blanked to prolong life.
>
> Could also work as a security feature similar to the VCR's where you
could
> dim the display ot avoid it attracting attention.
>
> Could also be used for VGA monitors in one of two ways....
> 1. Disconnect the RGB signals to blank the screen but keep the monitor
> powered up for instant ON
> 2. Disconnect the H+V sync signals to put the monitors into power save
> mode - would take a few seconds to warm up and would possible also
show
> "Power Save" messages for a few seconds after blanking.
>
> Obviously the above ideas rely on a couple of things...
> 1. You have some form of occupancy detection or security system
> 2. The system to which the sensors are connected needs to pass
information
> to the system(s) controlling the displays for the feature to operate.
>
> As xAP is in its design stage, is it worth considering this kind of
> functionallity.
>
> If it has already been discussed then I apologise but I havent had
time to
> follow all the messages.
>
> Keith

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/