Re: FIRM Pics + Questions

Hi,

>> What do you mean by multi command sequence? Multiple commands transmitted
in
>> a sequence? If yes, then I'm not aware of such remotes...
> This may not be what was meant but is similar - I have a remote (Sanyo)
> which sends an initial command followed by a generic repeat signal within
> time frame.

This kind of commands are supported.... Some of the presaved codes in the
configuration file are for such type of remotes....they are under the NEC
generic protocol, with only the sync bit repeated, not the whole code
sequence.

> So you get using volume for example a single long space coded
>signal meaning vol down or up then a short repeat signal saying to the unit
> more of the first command. The start bit lengths are noticeably longer
> using this remote than any other I have e.g. Sony etc.

Sony use another type of coding, based on a 4T start bit and then the code
as '01' for a '0' and '011 for a '1'.
The sync code is repeated together with the data bits.
My application supports any variant fo the three main generic protocols:
NEC, SONY and RC5, so you can have even more bits than standard (just an
example: on TV remote, all the commands are 12 bit, just the 16:9 command is
on 15 bits)
NEC protocol usualy have 16/32/48 bits, with sync repeated, command without
sync repeated and other combinations.

> This is not that uncommon and I have seen reference to it on the web
>although I don't remember where.

You're right, but..I repeat... my application can handle all of them under
the 3 generic protocols. You must think to "NEC" as all protocols based on 0
level bit information, SONY as the one for 1 level bit information and RC5
as based on fixed pulse length, bit information is based on transition at
the middle of the bit.

More... you can automatically decode any command independent of the generic
protocol used, if is stored in the configuration file.. you don't need to
load a specific configuration file and then decode only that remote...all of
them are there.

More, the learning procedure is based on analyzis, not on RAW data saved, so
the command generated during the send procedure is with the same accuracy as
the original one and more... you can generate new commands, not learned, by
directly changing the data bits. More.. you can generate even other kinds of
signals, like X10 (mains), X10 (radio) and customs signals using the same
application.

I hope that I was clear enough, again with my poor english..

:-)
Dan

HTH

Ian

Ian Bird
CibaVision UK Ltd.
Direct dial 01489 775570
Fax           01489 779570

                      "Dan"
                      <dtoma@xxxxxxx>            To:
<ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
                                               cc:
                      25/10/02 12:38           Subject:  Re: [ukha_d] FIRM
Pics + Questions
                      Please respond to
                      ukha_d

Hi Shane,

As part of the questions are related to my application (IRM).. I'll try to
answer you:

>  Now the serial interface board actually has to decode the IR (HV used to
do that
> for you) and generate an ASCII command string - is that right ?
> Actually I guess what would make it clearer to me is the serial to PC
> protocol if you are willing to release it.

The signal decoding is now a PC task, inside the IRM application

> Finally - what are the limitations of FirM that you are aware of.  I am
> a newbie to IR and a bit confused but have thoughts like:
>1) Different remotes use different frequencies - any problem ?

For the moment the application is compatible only with the remotes using a
carrier between 30-40KHz. The old ITT ones, using small pulses and no
carrier ar not supported. Anyway, I think that the majority of the actual
remotes use a carrier.

> 2) Some keys send multi command sequences etc - any problem ?

What do you mean by multi command sequence? Multiple commands transmitted
in
a sequence? If yes, then I'm not aware of such remotes...Anyway, the
application is able then to consider the multicommand sequence as a single
command, so is not a problem... Please give me more details about this type
of remotes and I will take care of...

Best regards,
Dan