Re: FIRM Pics + Questions

Hi Shane
Read your site and understand how the whole thing works with Homevision.
> HV being the logic brains behind which zone to transmit onto (and "what"
> I guess as well) in response to a received IR command.  The interface to
> HV is IR and a few I/O lines.

Correct..........

> OK so you add the serial interface and use a PC to replace HV.  Now the
> serial interface board actually has to decode the IR (HV used to do that
> for you) and generate an ASCII command string - is that right ?
> Actually I guess what would make it clearer to me is the serial to PC
> protocol if you are willing to release it.

    The pc will generate the ir signal logic......the pc interface will
generate the 38khz carrier and the i/o signals to Firm...and talk to the pc
.....The protocol is a 1 byte simple with a 2 bit chksum ....wow... Dan
Toma,s Software IRM will be used as a plugin (incorporating FirM) TO
Automat8it Home Automation software.........so Dans software does the ir
bit......

> Finally - what are the limitations of FirM that you are aware of.  I am
> a newbie to IR and a bit confused but have thoughts like:
> 1) Different remotes use different frequencies - any problem ?
> 2) Some keys send multi command sequences etc - any problem ?

1: Yes FirM s local (repeater ) is running at 38.4 approx khz so i would
imagine different frequencies would not work on FirM...........

2: Im having problems with my LG TV which i think uses RC5 format which has
a toggle bit.....It doesnt receive correctly but when HV sends power off
command in one of my schedules it works fine???

3: Only one zone active at any one time

4: Probably more not enough units installed yet.....

Frank

> I think I am interested ..... Still a bit confused about how the serial
> interface works exactly.
>
> Read your site and understand how the whole thing works with Homevision.
> HV being the logic brains behind which zone to transmit onto (and "what"
> I guess as well) in response to a received IR command.  The interface to
> HV is IR and a few I/O lines.
>
> OK so you add the serial interface and use a PC to replace HV.  Now the
> serial interface board actually has to decode the IR (HV used to do that
> for you) and generate an ASCII command string - is that right ?
> Actually I guess what would make it clearer to me is the serial to PC
> protocol if you are willing to release it.
>
> Finally - what are the limitations of FirM that you are aware of.  I am
> a newbie to IR and a bit confused but have thoughts like:
> 1) Different remotes use different frequencies - any problem ?
> 2) Some keys send multi command sequences etc - any problem ?
>
> I have also added some inline comments re. your questions.
>
> Cheers and well done - I agree the built up units don't look to bad at
> all !
> Shane
>

> > Question 1 PC USERS
> >         I would like some feedback from Pc users would be
> > interested in purchasing FirM for their ir needs.If
> > sufficient interest shown i would consider getting a pcb done
> > for the serial interface otherwise i will just put schemetics
> > and pic code on my site when finished...
> A definite interest from me if it does what I think it does.
>

> > Question 2 Xantech USERS
> >                     I would also like some feedback from
> > people who are currently using xantech equipment if they
> > would be interested in purchasing  FirM  if enough interest
> > shown i would purchase a xantech receiver and see if i can
> > interface to it.........
> As I understand it the receivers are the most difficult area?  If that
> is correct then I am considering Xantech (or Buffalo) receivers. In fact
> if you have no need for them I would be happy to purchase a few and loan
> them to you for testing.
>
> Cheers
> Shane
>
> PS Actually in Aussie from 5th to 12th November but only in Gold Coast -
> I assume you are way south.
>

> http://www.automatedhome.co.uk

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor