RE: IRM +FirM Interfacing Update

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: IRM +FirM Interfacing Update
  • From: "Nikola Kasic" <nikola@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:13:31 +0100

Hoooray!
Three times...
But, of course, nothing is perfect, so to get SWMBO approval i would like to
put transmitters and receivers high on the wall in a box behind a blanking
plate. I would then drill a hole in a plate for IR LEDs.
Is something like that possible?
And if it is, will it fit into a single gang box?
And will single CAT5 cable be enough for both Tx and Rx?
Electrician put the cables throug the strategic points last week, and he's
not finished yet. I left enough length curled and hidden for the future IR
solution, but if I can do it the way I plan, I might order
transmitters/receivers and ask electrician to put boxes in place and cables
through wall to each box.

Dan's idea of controling lights via IR is interesting.
But where transmitters must be placed relative to IR receiver on light
switch? Can they be on the same wall? That means that IR signal will have to
bounce off the walls. Is that possible and will they bounce off any wall and
furniture, or just some (e.g. wall carpets).

Cheers
Nik