RE: Home Server recommendations ??

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Home Server recommendations ??
  • From: "Des Gibbons" <des@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:39:05 +0100

Hi David.

The biggest problem I see with your spec, is that you want it to do all that
_and_ be reliable.

Do you really require a combination server/workstation?

But to match your spec, I would go with:-

Via mini-itx board fanless version
A 5400 rpm drive of whatever capacity you need
Windows 2k
Office 4.3 ( unless you actually need features from newer versions)
a pci wifi card ( Personally I would use a seperate access point)
a USB broadband modem ( not sure if you can get USB cable modems)
a copy of NAT32+ (www.nat32.com)

Not very upgradeable due to lack of pci slots, but I wouldn't add any HA
functions to a machine like this :)

Cheers, Des.

> All -
>
> A newcomer to this list, so apols if I am raking over
> old questions.
>
> I am getting towards installing the "super quiet,
> always-on, broadband gateway, WiFi base, file server
> "thing" for home.
>
> Machine needs to be in a cupboard somewhere, run a
> day-to-day role as above (plus light use as a
> MS-Office tool single user machine) and upgradability
> if I get carried off into the home automation gig (!)
>
> Can this group offer any recommendations on either
> hardware spec, suppliers of same or useful web sites
> would be most appreciated.
>
> BTW - not interested in screamingly fast, latest
> gadget approach.  Reliable, quiet & expandable is the
> thing, even if last year's technology.
>
> TIA - David

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor