RE: Video/ TV Distribution

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Video/ TV Distribution
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 19:01:06 +0100

I'll give it a bash for ya Rob.

> Video Recorder (Don't really need it but for playing old tape
> collection.)

Ditto

> Tivo
>
> Sky DigiBox
>
> Sony DAV300 - DVD player and surround amp thing.

Yup although the DAV here is a bedroom system.

> I would like to view any source in any room.

Easy enough over RF only right now although there are switchers out
there that can accommodate this they are not cheap at all. As Tony
pointed out the KAT5 switcher is what we are all waiting on.

> I would like to control any source from any room.

With your Xantech system you describe that's not an issue it is merely
an extension of the system you have in place already.

> I would like all the kit in Node 0.

Now it gets harder...

The DAV300 is an integrated DVD/Amp and speaker package with proprietary
connections for the speakers unique to Sony, I would hazard a guess that
the system is balanced for those speakers *only* and not running any
more. Personally I wouldn't run any more off it in case I ended up
frying it. Also you do realise that DD/DTS will not be available at any
other location using that system? Don't get me wrong, the DAV range from
Sony are great little "Lifestyle" systems, but they are just that and
not, therefore, intended to be used like this.

> So have I got this right?>
>
> Have distributed IR (Using Xantech stuff.) with receivers in each room
> and emitters in Node 0. (I understand this bit! But as Tivo controls
> Digibox I only need to have emitters for the Tivo, Video and DVD.
Yes?)

Yes and I also do this exactly the way Tony described so as not to upset
Tivo.

> Send the signal around using Keiths KAT5 (Using my cat5 wiring.). But
> how many do I need? Do I need more than one output from node Zero? Or
do
> all the items daisy chain together with one final Scart output from
the
> Tivo?  .....OR.....Do I use the standard coax I've got to each room?
I'm
> not bothered by super doper quality as the supplementary rooms have
only
> got 14/15" TV's anyway. .....OR..... a combination of both. i.e. KAT5
> living room (For DVD quality on 28" TV. Coax to everywhere else.

TBH, if quality is not a real concern just use RF, far cheaper to
implement and a hell of a lot easier in the short term!

> Finally... I have looked at some whole house systems that use
Composite
> out (Yellow Phono Plug). If I was to use this for video out what sort
of
> cable do I use to send the signal round the house, currently I've only
> got CAT5 or standard coax in the rooms? I have got speakers in every
> room so I've already got the audio distributed.

Okay, lets put this in perspective for you, the flowing is the quality
pecking order for signals as it is generally accepted:

Component video
S-Video
Composite
RF

The last two sometimes being swapped depending on who you talk to. :/

As I said, use RF, you already have the coax in place so there is little
needs done to implement it and you're not too bothered about the
quality.

K.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor