Re: IR Distribution - Problem?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: IR Distribution - Problem?
  • From: "PatrickLidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 08:15:50 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Mark McCall" <Mark@L...> wrote:
> > Worth noting that Tivo-Web gives you a web based remote
>
> Thanks Patrick.
>
> The TiVo drive and TurboNET gets fitted tomorrow! :-O
>
> M (worried about killing his TiVo)

A couple of tips then (from when I did this a couple of weekends ago).
I installed the original TivoNet board, but I assume the process is
more or less the same.

0. Getting the lid of the TiVO is a bit of a bastard, and requires
brute force. It slides backwards.

1. My understanding is that all UK Tivos are shipped with two drives.
Tivo drive A is the one with the master jumper set, the slave drive
has no jumpers at all. This isn't mentioned in the FAQs so far as I
can see.

2. The PC bios will report the wrong drive size if the drive is
locked. This is documented in various howto's. I unlocked the drive
using qunlock from 9thTee.

3. The Dylan boot disk won't boot reliably if the drive is "locked".
This isn't documented so far as I can see.

4. Once booted, if you have drive A, you will see around 11
partitions in the drive list. If you see 4 or fewer MFS partitions
then you've got drive B by accident.

5. Once re-installed in the TiVO, the drive is automatically locked
again, if you want to make any modifications then you'll have unlock
it again.

6. By far the easiest way to transfer software to the TiVO once it is
up and running is using zModem on a linux box - under linux they have
extensions which support a client-server relationship, and make the
whole process pretty much pain free.

7. The LAN cable will only wiggle through the square slot on the
right side of the fan, not the left - otherwise it fouls the case
fixing screw.

8. TivoWeb - remember the slashes on the end of the virtual proxy
settings if you're using Apache to provide password security as
recommended in the docs :-)

I have to say, the whole process of dismembering my favourite toy was
very traumatic - one of the reasons I've put it off for so long. But
TivoWeb absolutely rocks.

Patrick

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor