problem with AD10 / flourescent lighting

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: problem with AD10 / flourescent lighting
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 23:21:27 +0100

Hi chaps.

anyone got any ideas re this problem I'm seing:

in my new kitchen renovation (http://paulgordon.homeip.net/kitchen),
I have
put all the lighting on X10 DIN modules, which are the other side of a new
consumer unit. (We ran new tails from the meter, and fitted new circuits
and
MCB's)

I have:

LD11 - ceiling lights, - mains halogen, - 400W (8 x 50W)
LD11 - patio lights, - mains tungsten, - 120W (2 x 60W)
AD10 - laundry room light - mains flourescent, - 1 x 36W
AD10 - cupboard lighting, - a mixture as follows: 3 x 24W mains
flourescents, 2 x 13W mains flourescents, 2 x 10W mains halogens
AD10 - 1 mains neon

now, I am having some problems with X10 signal reception.

Firstly, if I take a mini-controller into the kitchen and plug it into the
new socket ring, everything works 100% perfectly
Take the mini-controller out into the hall, (so now it is on the
"other"
socket ring main), and everything still works 100% perfectly, - thus
proving
X10 signal transmission through to the new wiring yes?
Take that controller a bit further away and things start to drop off a bit,
- many commands are not seen. this would seem to indicate a simple signal
strength problem....

however, where things start to get a bit weird, is that having spent a
while
testing sending various commands from the HA PC, I can see the following
behaviour:

the LD11's seem to be OK (actually I only tested the ceiling lights, not
the
patio), but the ceiling lights responded to *every* one of about 20 on /
off
commands I sent.

The AD10 for the laundry room light, similarly semd to be OK, - it
responded
correctly to every test transmission I sent.
The AD10 for the Neon indicator, similarly semd to be OK, - it responded
correctly to every test transmission I sent.

The other AD10 though, seems to only respond to ON commands. - try as I
might, I could not get it switch off via X10 from the HA PC (but as I said,
a mini-controller in the kitchen works for everything). It seems to respond
to 100% of ON commands, but not at all to ay form of OFF command, including
an ALL UNITS.

So my question is: is it likely to be a dodgy AD10 unit? - like I said, it
response perfectly to all commands sent from a nearby mini-controller, but
seems not to see more distant OFF commands. (I haven't had a chance to swap
the AD10 unit out yet...). Is there any basis for believing that OFF
commands might be inferior to ON commands? - i.e. could they be
"weaker" and
thereby more prone to signal strenght problems? or could the load be
causing
a problem? (but like I said, there's no problem with a "close"
transmission,
or with local control for that matter).

To be clear, there are absolutely no low-voltage items involved, and no
transformers of any kind.

I'd appreciate any pointers, - up 'till now, I haven't really had any X10
transmission problems...

Paul G.

Broadband? Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.