RE: WARNING: Public Wealth Warning

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: WARNING: Public Wealth Warning
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <steve@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 12:32:02 +0100

> From: Dave McLaughlin [mailto:dave@xxxxxxx]
<snip>
> I was looking closely but I knew it would be expensive. I am
> hoping to have a go this weekend with the Screwfix one. It is
> certainly very solidly made and should work well once I
> figure out how to use the actual thing.

The Leigh just enables you to make dovetails of whatever size and
spacing you want. It's a great tool, but enormously expensive. It's
popular because you can make dovetails that look 'hand made'. Fixed
size/pitch dovetails like you get with the more commonly available jigs
are just less 'fashionable' - it certainly doesn't mean you can't make
good joints with them.

> I blame Norm for getting me into all this woodwork thingy...
> Before his programme I only did metal work and the occasional
> B&Q ready made shelf. After a successful radiator cover a few
> weeks ago I feel much braver to tackle something bigger.

Indeed. A few years ago, I used to catch the odd episode of New Yankee
Workshop and think "yeah, but who's going to have all that kit in a ho= me
workshop". This year, thanks to Norm's bad influence, I have bought a<= BR> floor standing pillar drill, 6" jointer, 12" ticknesser, DeWalt 1= /2"
router, router table, Kity table saw, Tormek grinder, lathe, bench
sander and god knows what else that I've forgotten about.

The lathe was a bit of a laugh. I went into my local hardware store and
found this thing for =A339.99. Hey, I thought, if it's no good, I've only wasted 40 quid. Then I bought some turning gouges, some blanks of
timber, gauges, more turning chisels and a book on woodturning. The
first chapter in the book is about the features to look for when buying
a lathe. Mine has none of them, so I'm now looking for another lathe!

And I still have a shopping list including dust extraction, bandsaw,
sliding compound mitre saw, another router, the Leigh jig (of course),
and so the cycle continues......

This morning, I transferred another 8 episodes of New Yankee Workshop
onto tape. That's 16 tapes of Norm I have on the shelf now.

I've just finished making a baby gate for the top of the stairs. There's something intensely satisfying about turning a single piece of wood (in
this case, a 10' x 7" x 2" piece of steamed beech) into a nice pi= ece of
furniture.

> Have you checked out the website for Norm's show. Very
> interesting and loads of faq type help.

I drop by occassionally, but irritatingly, there's no distributor for
his plans in this country.

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D""