RE: ISDN ISP

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: ISDN ISP
  • From: "Jenni Lowe" <jenni@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:24:49 +0100

> I have been using Demon for quite a while now with no problems.
> You get a static IP address, which is great for connection to your home
> server from else where.
> I only use the evening / weekend surftime package on 64K but I'm
> sure it can
> go up to 128K (help me out here Ian?)

Sorry Sean, we had a night *deep intake of breath*
OFFLINE last night! ;-)

We moved ISP from Demon a while back ... at the time they certainly
were able to go to 128K without much problem, they also at the time
didnt have an abuse = more than 4 hours a day policy. When we asked
we were told "We dont care if you connect now and dont disconnect till
Easter".
We have, however had major problems with setting up Demon for a customer.
Demon ADSL-enabled the wrong line, some poor wee wumun down the street
because it was in the same postcode. Now, our client did give us the
wrong number, but we are fairly shocked that they could make changes
to someone elses line without their consent! Demons response was to say
the only way the correct line could be enabled was to pay a years
subscription,
to cover the cost of the first line, and then pay another year for
the correct line to be enabled. In the course of trying to deal with
this we got a lot of bad customer service, enough to persuade us not
to be Demon customers again.
At the moment we are using Quik Internet. Their prices are reasonable,
128K is covered in the package we are on (?35 per month) but they have
been having quite a few problems of late, not getting connected, the 2 hour
cut off suddenly becoming 26minutes and so on. And worst of all, their
backbone carrier Colt have APPALLING pings. Unfortunately, we have more
or less run out of options. We have been thrown off almost all ISPs
who provide 128K services for abuse, and we cant find any more to abuse!

With us working from home, we need pretty much
24/7 connectivity and with playing UT so much, we need low ping. To fit
the kind of thing we do we need broadband. Well, we have 42 people
registered,
but no trigger level yet.
Anyway, enough rambling ;-)
Demon were fine, but I wouldnt trust them as far as I could throw them,
and Quik are "ok-ish".

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor