Dog door automation....

All

Bit long this - sorry...

Quick potted history - my dog (Bob) has had a dog door (think cat flap, but
a bit bigger, about 12" x 10") all his life.  A recent operation to remove a
cataract didn't work out, so he's now effectively blind.  He's been home for
about a month now, and is fine going in and out the door without the flap
installed (i.e. basically a hole in the back door), but now the nights are
drawing in it's getting a bit nippy keeping the hole open.  Although I work
>from day, and given his bladder is not 'calibrated' for keeping a cork in it for
extended periods, I don't really have the option of just blocking the hole
in and hoping he crosses his legs.

The dogdoor is a standard 'Staywell' one, basically a piece of rigid perspex
mounted on a 2-way hinge.  I think the issue Bob has with it is that as he
walks through it, it come back down on his head/back, and that spooks him.
This causes him to go into reverse, which just makes things worse.  Whilst I
was in the States I saw some that used floppy bits of thick rubber, but I
don't think this would be much better, as the bottom edge was quite heavy.

So, ideally (and this is where you guys come in), I'd like some sort of
automated dog door based on either PIR or a button (I've trained Bob to
press buttons, not that he's a touch typist or anything!).  I can get power
to the door, but it does open against a wall, so whatever the gizmo used is,
it can't really protrude more than a few inches.  the door itself is just a
bog-standard half glass/half wood/ply affair, with a hole cut into it about
6" from the base.  I am not proficient in electro-mechanics or the
disassembly of windscreen motors!  X10 PIR would be fine, as the door is in
a utility room, so there's time for Bob to wander into the room, PIR to
trigger, and Homeseer to open the flap.  I can mount an external PIR to open
it again, or I guess use some logic to work out whether Bob's come back in
again.  The real issue is, I suspect, in getting the flap automated in the
first place.

Has anyone done this before, seen any off-the-shelf products, or got any
good ideas?

Pete (& Bob)

This electronic transmission is considered PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL
information and is
intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named above.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee
or agent responsible for delivering
the message to the intended recipient(s), please note that any
dissemination, use, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Anyone who receives this communication in error should notify the sender
immediately by telephone at
+44 (0)1753 778888 and should destroy and delete the message  immediately.
http://www.banctec.co.uk

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor