Re: Patrick's HomeSeer/Comfort PlugIn - Can it do infrared ?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Patrick's HomeSeer/Comfort PlugIn - Can it do infrared ?
  • From: "PatrickLidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 09:36:51 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "theboyguk" <g@u...> wrote:
> HOW Man ??!!!!
>
> The IR was installed with my Comfort system, but I had "issues"
with
> the installer (HouseHold Automation). I've never seen it work (they
> gave up).

I sympathise totally. After two years of agony, it looks like I'm
finally getting to the point where I have a comfort system that works
properly - in my case it's taken umpteen replacement NVR's and
firmware upgrades, culminating in a replacement of both the mainboard
and UCM serial module. The new mainboard, which arrived on Saturday,
now seems to be working ok, and even the telephone interface (which
has never worked at all) seems to be be ok.

> It's plugged into the Comfort board (gawd knows what zone - might
> have to open up the case to find out)

You do need to know what zone it is connected to, to stand a
reasonable chance of making progress.

> So, for example, say I wanted to send a Sony Amp OFF command to the
> IR module - how owuld one go about this ?

Basic procedure is like this:

1. Load comfort with the infra-red code for the device(s) you want to
control, using CS-Express software, Home Automation Settings/Infra
Red codes branch of the tree. There are various bits of Sony kit
listed by default, but if these aren't right, there are additional
codes / utilities on the Comfort website to convert codes captured
>from never used these tools, I imagine the Comfort technical list would be
a good place to ask for more info if you want to do it yourself.

2. Make a note of the which device/function is assigned to each
Comfort infra-red "slot number" (Comfort IR Code number). You'll need
these later.

3. Make sure your Homeseer plugin is working ok (e.g. events are
reported ok).

4. To activate a particular IR function, login from the plugin (if
you are not already) and set values in "IR Activation - IR Zone", and
then "IR Activation - IR Number". Setting the latter triggers
transmission of the IR signal, so the order of execution is important!

And you should see entries in the log showing it's done the right
thing.

IR Zone set to ...
IR Number set to ...
Transmit IR request from Homeseer: Zone ... IR Code ...

If you are not sure that your IR LED is working correctly, and have a
webcam/video camera, point that face on at the LED and you should be
able to "see" the infrared. Under normal operating conditions, the
LED should be off, coming on only when you send the code itself.

Good luck - it really can be made to work OK,

Patrick

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor