FirM & HomeAutomator update [long (and badly written)]

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: FirM & HomeAutomator update [long (and badly written)]
  • From: "Andy Powell" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 09:41:20 -0000

Hi Folks,

just to give you a little update on the FirM testing that I've done
so far. I wont make this a review as that will come later [with
pictures and notes], more of a "how it's going"

The FirM Controller worked flawlessly on plugging in, went through a
little self test - oooh I love flashing lights :D. It wasn't
connected to Homevision at the time, just a power up test since it
had made a journey half way round the world :D Once connected up I
tried a few basic experiments using 1 zone making Homevision control
equipment in that zone, again flawless...

The next step was to try multiple zones, what I have at the moment is:

Zone 1  = living room connected using CAT5 and a splitter box

Zone 2      = Bedroom connected using CAT5 and a splitter box

Zone 3  = Computer room direct connection from FirM controller to
DDAR (see later)

Each zone has a DDAR in it and I can confirm that there is no
crosstalk between zones (i.e. If I tell the DDAR in zone 1 to play
some music the IR doesn't affect any other zone).

I did have one issue tho, in the end it turned out to be my fault,
but it is worth noting. A while ago
Quinten converted a DDAR to rack mount for me (
http://www.notacon.com/ddar/ ) and a nice job he did too... I added
an extra socket on the back for hardwired IR - this is a simple 3.5mm
chasis socket connected to a resistor and an IR emitter, the emitter
is placed inside the case close to the ir receiver of the DDAR.

So that's the background. What I did was plug zone 3 directly into
the back of the DDAR. During my tests the yellow light on the zone
box in the livingroom would light up. after some discussion with
Frank and a little test it turns out that having the resistor was
what was causing the light to come on... those with electronics
experience will understand better than me what is going on, all I
know is when the resistor was removed it worked fine. I should add
that Frank told me NOT to plug an IR emitter without any resistor
directly into the back of the FirM controller as it would probably
blow, I ignored him and it worked fine but I now have a zone splitter
box attached. Not worth the risk IMHO, ir emitters are cheap,  but I
need all I can get :D

I now have a macro in homevision that runs at 6am each morning.
Homevision switches the zone and tells the bedroom DDAR to play some
music. It's worked well for a week now - well except for 2 things:

1. When testing one night I had hit the mute button on the remote.
everything else worked and the DDAR was playing music, just that it
was muted ... DOH!

2. I forgot to update the clock in my Homevision, so the alarm
actually came on at 5am... ouch!

FirM is becoming an integral part of my HA solution (sounds like
management speak :P  ) - I just wish Homevision could store more IR
commands..

Home Automator

I've updated the code in HomeAutomator too so that I can activate
zones from a web interface, still testing but it works. Originally I
was trying to be flexible (clever?) and allow the user to use HV vars
and macros to trigger the zone change. Initial experiments worked but
I found that quite a substantial delay was required between the
setting of the var and execution of the macro. It wasn't really
acceptable to me and certainly wouldn't be for anyone else.

Now I just use internal code with a configuration screen for the port
connections and it works fine, and quick. Adding code to get the Zone
currently active now..

Serial port access and xap implementations are next on the list for
HomeAutomator, if anyone has a xap enabled serial device they
wouldn't mind loaning me it would help :D

Hopefully we can get review of FirM will done soon, testing should be
complete around the end of October, all I can say from what I've done
so far is - if you have HV get your cheque book out - or tell SWMBO
you want one for Christmas :D...

Andy

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor