DIN [was RE: x10 stair lighting and x10 PIR]

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: DIN [was RE: x10 stair lighting and x10 PIR]
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 00:32:45 +0100

To be precise, DIN stands for Deutsches Institut fur Normung which roughly
translates to German Institute for Standardization or German Standards
Institute. The expansion offered by Mark Harrison ("German Industry
Standards") is acceptable with the meaning remaining largely accurate
to the
original. Such an expansion seems to derive from a drive to define DIN as
an
accepted European standard (which it is promoted as) and reduce it's German
origins given the course of European history and general European feeling
towards Germany.

The comparison to BS standards and it's purpose in this context is of
course
accurate.

Mark.