RE: Lossless audio conversion / DIY Kivor?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Lossless audio conversion / DIY Kivor?
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 18:27:49 +0100

1: Which conversion standard is the closest reproduction.

FLAC, however it's also the one with the least compression. It's a losless compression algorithm, like ZIP.

http://flac.sourceforge.net

I'm afraid I don't know about iPaq drivers for it yet.

2: Hardware

It was pointed out to me a while back the the conversion from MP3 (say) to 44.1Khz, 16-bit stereo PCM is fully deterministic. (ENCODING of MP3 isn't!) Hence as long as a sound card has a proper SP/DIF out, decent drivers, and relatively low jitter, then the best bet is an outboard DAC. I'm told by my middling-serious hi-fi friends that the latest Soundblaster stuff isn't bad at all.

If your DAC will drive higher than 44.1Khz, then you could look at a soundcard that could upsample and interpolate to, say, 192/24. I don't know enough about this market, but you'd want a card which had drivers to do something more than a naive linear interpolation. I'm _guessing_ (from my sound recording days) that a cubic spline interpolation would be best, but I think that this is fairly rarified stuff. Digitools is probably a good place to start, and see what they recommend.

Regards,

Mark